Center of Everything by Laura Moriarty

Saturday, October 10, 2009
Growing up with a single mother who is chronically out of work and dating a married man, 10-year old Evelyn Bucknow learns early how to fend for herself. Offering an affecting portrayal of a troubled mother/daughter relationship, one in which the daughter is very often expected to play the role of the adult, the novel also gives readers a searing rendering of the claustrophobia of small town midwestern life, as seen through the eyes of a teenage girl.

I read this book when I was still in HS and enjoyed it, I found it at the store on a limb and wanted to reread it. It was just as enchanting and wonderful as the first time. It's a story about Evelyn and her mother Tina and their battles with life and it's one of the best coming of age books I've read. The characters are so honest and real - you could see a bit of yourself in them at any given time. It made me cry, made me laugh...really a wonderful read!

****

0 comments:

Post a Comment