Cracked Up to Be - Courtney Summers

Saturday, January 23, 2010
When "Perfect" Parker Fadley starts drinking at school and failing her classes, all of St. Peter's High goes on alert. How has the cheerleading captain, girlfriend of the most popular guy in school, consummate teacher's pet, and future valedictorian fallen so far from grace?

Parker doesn't want to talk about it. She'd just like to be left alone, to disappear, to be ignored. But her parents have placed her on suicide watch and her counselors are demanding the truth. Worse, there's a nice guy falling in love with her and he's making her feel things again when she'd really rather not be feeling anything at all.

Nobody would have guessed she'd turn out like this. But nobody knows the truth.

Something horrible has happened, and it just might be her fault.

I have to admit that when I saw the cover for this book I thought it was going to be another one of those teeny love stories. Not that I don't like those, but I'm not a fan of them since I prefer less than PG-13 love stories ;) But i was pleasantly surprised when I decided to give it a try.

I loved the plot line and all the characters except for Parker. I understand she had a rough time and everything, but I am one of those people who believe a situation can be hard only if you choose it to be so. She didn't seek help from anyone and they stepped out of their way to help her and it annoyed the crud out of me.

The other characters definitely had heart, and I appreciated that in the novel. I couldn't stand how Parker swore up and down that Chris (ex-boyfriend) still wanted her even when she was messed up and things like that - I don't do well with stuck up people! All and all though I did enjoy it and my heart went to Parker despite her obnoxiousness. I definitely like Courtney Summers style of writing so I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a copy of Some Girls Are.

****

0 comments:

Post a Comment