The Devouring by Simon Holt

Friday, January 1, 2010
When Reggie finds an old journal and reads about the Vours, supernatural creatures who feast on fear and attack on the eve of the winter solstice, she assumes they are just the musings of some lunatic author. But soon, they become a terrifying reality when she begins to suspect that her timid younger brother might be one of their victims.

Risking her life and her sanity, Reggie enters a living nightmare to save the people she loves. Can she devour own her fears before they devour her?

Bone-chilling, terrifying, thrilling...what are you waiting for?

I thought this books was very incredibly written and suspenseful. Simon Holt's way of gripping the reader and forcing them to think of their greatest fears really sets this novel apart from anything I've ever read before. I found the characters extremely likable and in depth. You could just tell by reading that Holt knows everything about this world he has created and I find comfort in that.

The writing was exceptional, I was thrust into my own 'fearscape' and jumped at every little sound while I was reading. Book that grip you like that deserve to be recognized! I love Holt's way of writing and look forward to Soulstice, the next book in the series. The ending was such a cliffhanger that I wanted to pull my hair out, but in the most loving and exciting way possible. :)

*****

0 comments:

Post a Comment