Liar - Justine Larbalestier

Sunday, January 3, 2010
 Micah freely admits that she's a compulsive liar. And that may be the one honest thing she'll ever tell you. Over the years she's duped her classmates, her teachers, and even her parents. But when her boyfriend, Zach, dies under brutal circumstances, the shock might be enough to set her straight. Or maybe not. Especially when lying comes as naturally to her as breathing. Was Micah dating Zach? Or was Sarah his real girlfriend? And are the stories Micah tells about inheriting a "family gene" real or are they something that only exists in her mind?

I really enjoyed this one and I have to admit, I wasn't sure if I was going to. The writing was really gritty and honest, and the plot was great. The end really threw me for a loop even though I knew it was coming (I read the end on accident). Micah is an interesting character with a lot of depth and substance to her, what I love in characters. Even after finishing the 370 pages of the book I wanted to know more about her. I felt that the author did that with all of the characters in this novel, even the ones that weren't necessarily a big part of the book, you still wanted to know more and tried to always justify their actions.

Overall I enjoyed this book, I also really liked how it was divided into separate sections as you read, such as before, after, the history of herself, family, and other things gave it a nice hint of realism that I don't think could've been accomplished if Larbalestier started from the very beginning without breaks. That would also really damaged the plot in my opinion. Liar is a gripping read that will make you want to strangle Micah and yearn to listen to her voice at the same time.

****

0 comments:

Post a Comment